Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 05 Jul 1997 03:50:50 -0700
From:         "Mark A. Rokus" <marokus@voyager.net>
Subject:      running rich

Sorry I didn't get back to you right away.. On vacation and I had about 550 messages to get through first. So far, the thing that has made mine livable is the wiper arm adjustment. I'm not completely satisified with the logic but it has helped significantly. On the above mentioned trip we went over 1300 miles and 2/3 of those were around 80 mph. Mileage back up in the mid teens. Still planning to refine the adjustment using a CO meter.

The adjustment involved the AIR FLOW SENSOR. sometimes called the Air box Looking into the engine compartment you will see it between the air filter box and the throttle body. It has a large electrical connector in the back and a black plastic cover about 3" square on the top. To start, you need to remove the cover. I ran a knife around the edge to break the glue seal and mine came off with a little patience. Once you can see into the box, you will see the wiper assy. There are basically 2 things that you can adjust, the spring pressure and the relationship between the electrical wiper and the mechanical air vane. I wouldn't suggest messing with the spring pressure. First, note the exact position where the screw is originally in case you want to return it. Then I loosened the set screw holding the wiper arm until it was just slightly holding then I started the van and let it warm up. Without changing the adjustment yet try and move the whole wiper assy one way or the other a little to see if the engine runs better. You will be simulating the sensing of more or less air depending which way you move it. You will feel the air flow as you try to move it. Try it at different RPM's and see if the same "correction" improves it across the range. If you can get an identifiable gain, hold the mechanical side and move the electrical side to the area that seemed to do best. tighten the screw and try the different RPM thing again. I found that the adjustment on mine was very small, less than 1/16". Also, be sure not to dirty the area that the wiper touches. It is similar to the volume control on a radio and is sensitive to contamination. Cleaning the area with a lint free cloth and alcohol might help. When satisfied, reseal the cover with RTV or Fingernail polish. Remember this is not the final word on repairs, its just what worked for me until I have a better answer.

I also included another site that might help:

http://www.med.umn.edu:8853/cgi-bin/msg?m=msg01161&a=/v94/vanagon.94.06

Hope this gets you going. If I wasn't clear on anything, tell me and I'll try again.

Good luck

Mark