Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 5 Jul 1997 19:18:22 -0400
From:         Craig Rogers <carogers@idt.net>
Subject:      RE: '86 still plagued! (was rich running)

Hi Tony,

I failed to mention the problem with exhaust leaks. Small exhaust leaks, prior to the catalytic converter will cause all sorts of problems if the O2 sensor is connected. You can check by having someone cover the tail pipe with their hand (with a leather glove on) and find by feeling for small blasts of air. Do this with the engine cold and check the head connections first because they get hot first. Also, try really advancing the timing. When I was having these problems, I was running it really advanced (15 degrees btdc or so) and with the idle mixture all the way open (actually, not quite, you don't want to go out past where the air is leaking in through the top of the adjusting screw). The screw stayed in that area until I replaced the air box and now it's almost closed. I guess that tells you something. I think I got the timing straightened out at the same time, but like I said before, I also had the 3 ECUs that I was swapping all the time. Also check the connections on the sockets for the ECU and the air box (along with continuity which is checked when you go through the list in Bentley, where you take measurements from the ECU plug to determine if the injection system is working). If these are bad they could cause intermittent problems. By the way, I was able to disassemble, clean, and reassemble the vacuum solenoids and save a quick $50 each. I wasn't able to repair the aux. air regulator, so I removed it and sealed of the hoses. This one lasted about 20K and I think they cost about $75. The engine warms up fine with out it (summer), so I'll just wait and see what happens as the year progresses. At worst, I save a few K on next regulator. At best, I decide I don't need it. I hate parts that don't last. Anyway, I'm back to it running dangerously close to perfectly, which is really all you can ask from a real world system. The only thing wrong with it now is the cap and rotor contacts corrode in just a couple of thousand miles. I wonder if anyone else has experienced this?

Craig Rogers Ineffable Audio Unity Inc. P.O. Box 512 Riverdale, NY 10471 (914) 378-1606 mailto: carogers@idt.net

'85 Wolfsburg Weekender