Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 5 Jul 1997 22:47:43 -0700 (PDT)
From:         Charles D Earl <cdearl@cats.ucsc.edu>
Subject:      repair shop info request/road trip ramble (long)

Greetings listees,

I am very excited about the upcoming road trip I have planned with my girlfriend. It is the first "more than just a weekend" trip I have been able to take while on the list (and first in almost 2 years :( it seems that in the process of trying to improve your life you stop having fun along the way! That's going to change, starting with next week ;)

On July 14th we will begin driving from Santa Cruz to Seattle, taking the coastal route. We'll take the 101 up to the Eureka/Arcata area, then up to Brookings, OR. Major stops in Oregon will include Newport, Eugene and Astoria. We'll make it up as we go on the Wash. coast. Based out of Seattle we'll hopefully make excursions into the Cascades and the Olympic Penninsula (backpacking and trout fishing :)

Before I "ramble" too much, I'll get to the point. I looked on Ron's page and didn't see any Vanagon repair shops in Oregon or Washington. So, if anyone on the Oregon coast, in the Eugene area and in the Seattle and Port Angeles/Forks areas has any favorite repair shops/mechanics/FLAPS that you would highly recommend, I'd love to know! A big TIA on that.

Thats the necessary part, here's the fun part: if there are any listees in these areas it would be great to get a chance to meet you! We could check each others vans out, maybe have a beer and tell a few lies ;) We plan on taking 6-7 days to reach Westport, WA. If a meet is possible, send me an e-mail! It would be great to put faces with names :)

I've been looking forward to writing this. Not only because I am going on vacation (oh sure!), but also because reading other listees posts about their upcoming roadtrips has provided me with a lot of vicarious enjoyment. It also helps to give me the energy to keep going to work, knowing that eventually it will be my turn. Sentimental mode OFF.

Taking the surfboards, if we are lucky we will get to use them. The bikes get to stay home this time. Taking the backpacks and fishing equipment. I've been prepping the Westy, installed the CB, checking my lists twice. Can't wait!

Recommended repair shops/chance to meet/recommended points of interest: I look forward to any and all responses!

Sincerely,

Charles '83.5 Westy '69 280 SE (back from the grave)