Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 07 Jul 1997 01:10:01 -0400
From:         Dave Richards <wr3i@earthlink.net>
Subject:      Re: Stuck bolt

Charles D Earl wrote: > > Soak it with penetrating oil (many listees have said that "Kroil" works > real well). Without damaging the bolt head, give it a hard tap with a > hammer (I use the round head of a ballpeen hammer). This sometimes > breaks the corrosion bond. Try again. Soak and repeat several times, if > still no, try a piece of pipe or breaker bar. Be careful, you might > crank the head right off the bolt. I would soak it for a few days before > giving up. > Good luck, > > Charles > '83.5 Westy > '69 280 SE (back from the grave) > > On Sun, 6 Jul 1997 RubatoGuy@aol.com wrote: > > > In checking out my '88 Westy, I decided to take a look at the spare, > > Unfortunately the 19mm bolt that hold the tray that the spare rests on does > > not want to come off. Any clever ideas? I was thinking of just finding a > > garage with an air wrench that I could talk a mechanic to applying to the > > bolt. > >Just a Thought! maybe the spare is oversize and is binding the bolt try a small jack under the pan to take the pressure off the bolt and then lots of leverage on the wrench good luck Dave WR3I 97 EVCamper