Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 7 Jul 1997 16:26:14 +1000 (EST)
From:         s.overmyer@uws.edu.au (Stephen Overmyer)
Subject:      WBX Discs & Drums

Hi all,

My '92 Transporter (equivalent to the Weekender MV in the US) recently clocked over 100,000 kms (62,000m) and has just had it's next scheduled service.I've owned it since new so can account for it's full service history. All OK,running very well and still 40% of the front and rear brake pads left.It's not a city car which partly explains the good brake pad mileage (as well as utilizing the 5 speed manual gearbox whenever possible for engine braking)

Anyway,whilst the pads are still OK for now,it was brought to my attention that when they are changed in the forseeable future,the front discs and rear drums will at least need re-machining and quite likely need to be replaced if the wear is beyond machining limits.

Now it's not that I doubt my VW mechanics.They are trustworthy guys who I've known for many years now.They don't pile on the BS and wouldn't say it needed doing if it didn't,but I was wondering what was the experience of list members with higher milage vans.At what milage have you guys found that similar wear has occured? I would have expected the discs and drums to be right for several changes of pads (barring any stones etc getting stuck in there) as is the case with my bay window Crew Cab.I have done more than 130,000km in the 6 years I've had it,changed the pads twice (once recently) and the discs & drums are still OK (not great but...)

It's not that I mind getting the work done when it needs it,the van's in exceptional original condition and always garaged,but it's just that I'm curious...Is that typical for later model vans? Am I hopelessly optimistic with my expectation of disc & drum life expectancy?

Thanks,

Steve O. Blue Mountains,NSW Aust.

'92 Transporter '76 Crew Cab '68 Beetle