Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 7 Jul 97 11:22:00 -0500
From:         Don Gibbons <dgibbons@presray.com>
Subject:      EV and Disney's Ft. Wilderness

Just finished up a trip from N.Y. to Florida and back. Drove our EV MV (5 spd, rear AC, 85,000 miles) with 5 kids and wife and camping equipment.

The trip was uneventful. Other then using 1/2 qt oil (mobil 1 15-50) and uncloging the rear AC drain tube there were no mechanical problems. However I did the following preventive stuff:

New tires, belt, water pump, timing belt, plugs, cap, rotor, Front wheel bearings, oil change. Left inner CV joint.

AC was on (front & rear) the entire trip (even while driving at night) and thou it worked OK, it was on at full and the temp was about 95 day time. No signs of over heating, but I had done the EV gage repair to the instruments.

Gas milage was from 20-23 mpg. speed was from about 55 to 70. (yes 70 mph limits in some of the south east) We swaped driving and made each way in 23 hours.

Ft. Wilderness is in Disney world and is expensive for a camp ground ($45 nite) but it is dirt cheep for 7 inside the World.

Campsites have water, power & waste connections. Our site (#1302) was about 30 ft from a comfort station that had showers (air conditioned), phones, laundry and ice machines. Some sites have more shade then others so watch out.

My wife & I and 2 year old slept in the van. After removing the rear facing seats there is plenty of room for 2 small children or babies on the floor where the seats were.

We fit 2 tents and 5 sleeping bags in the rear storage area. All the other stuff went back there and when full the rear area was full to the ceiling.

I had made a bug screen for the rear hatch opening and it worked great, but there were very few bugs. This was a suprise, it was central Florida in the summer. I guess if the bugs don't pay, they don't get in to Disney World.