Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 7 Jul 1997 14:46:26 -0400 (EDT)
From:         Lon Herman <herman.40@osu.edu>
Subject:      Mirrors, Spark Plugs, Oil temp gauge

Now that the clutch and valve train have received their fixes, time to turn my attention to four other items I'd like to get set before the 81 Westie and my family start the summer excursions:

(1) Mirrors. I seem to recall some listalk about replacing the stock, rather large and noisy mirrors with something smaller and more aerodynamic, utilizing the existing mounting holes, not looking too awful or pricey. Would prefer manual to electronic. If somebody has suggestions, please let me know.

(2) Oil Temp Gauge. I'd like to install a VDO Oil temp gauge, and would appreciate advice in two areas: (a) placement of the sensing unit (I don't want to do a dipstick sensor), and associated hardware/drilling required; (b) routing the wires to the dash (my Westie has a gas heater and bellypan).

(3) Spark Plugs. Though I know this is one area where opinions abound, I would appreciate advice on differing brands, platinum vs. non (those that advocate "splitfires" need not apply). My (original) air-cooled engine has about 82K, runs about 120 PSI across; runs 30-40 weight straight viscosity oil in summer. The van is used for some minor (3-5) mile trips during the week, and can see 300-500 mile trips in 80*F ambient temps routinely during the dog-days of summer. So some healthy spark plug advice would be nice.

(4) High-Temperature Foam Padding. I think there was some recent discussion re: foam of varying thickness that would withstand something like 500*F. As my Westie has functioning A/C, and therefore some irregularly shaped engine-tin cutouts. I'd like to stuff some of this to plug gaps between the engine tin and the compressor. If somebody knows where I can order the stuff, please let me know.

If some of these items have been beaten to death over the list, please contact me private E-mail <herman.40@osu.edu> if you'd care to help.

Thanks again.

Lon Herman, Granville, Ohio

'81 Westfalia '86 SAAB 900S '67 912 '96 Jetta TREK

"The Water-Pumpers Sit Outside"