Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 7 Jul 1997 13:22:38 -0800
From:         VWNUT@smus.bc.ca
Subject:      Help! '88 Clutch problem (I'm back...;)

After a long restless period with our new baby girl and without V@L, I must re-subscribe. Since my last posting, Josie (our baby) is now 8 weeks old and about 13-14 lbs, and Kyra (our Westy) is now at ~ 342k, but complaining bitterly at the lack of attention...

To the point:

We just finished a 2 week long meandering tour through the lesser known roads of BC and Alberta, and were about to tackle the Duffy Lake road from Lilloett to Pemberton when the clutch decided to randomly disengage, usually during 3-2 shift on a 15% uphill grade... A visual check showed brake fluid was fine, no master or slave leaks, pedal felt normal (and discovered a leaking PS line, but that's another story). I recalled that the pilot bearing had been done twice by the PO and started pondering just what the heck it does, and why this $6 part could be causing all this annoyance. Anyway, the problem was worst after 1-2 hrs of hard driving it seemed, but we made it another 300+ kms home with little drama aside from a few missed "speed" shifts.

My questions: 1. Will a failed pilot bearing cause the clutch to disengage randomly, and usually only for a few seconds? ie: If going into gear from a stop would not work, stopping engine, then starting in first gear with clutch in would usually lurch a few times, then clutch would release. Sitting at a light in 1st with clutch in would sometimes lurch or even stall, maybe one in 4-5 times.

2. I assume a failed pilot bearing is created more "play" in the input shaft, which does not sound healthy. How bad is it to continue driving say another 100kms? (I really need 2 vehicles for the next few days until I can pull the tranny)

3. While I'm pulling the tranny, what else should be checking/replaced? The trans/clutch is a VW rebuilt with ~170k kms on it. (4th gear whines a bit, but I can't afford to open the trans right now.)

Thanks for any advice, and please e-mail direct, as I'm not sure if I'm really sub'd yet.