Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 7 Jul 1997 16:52:35 -0700
From:         Richard Angelini <richard@bally.com>
Subject:      Fridge fan GREAT!!!

If you hav'nt done the modification to add an internal fan to your Dometic fridge stop what your doing and do it NOW!. What a difference it makes. I had to turn the thermostat down to keep things from freezing. The fridge went from 45 to 30 after I turned on the internal fan (a hour had passed). This has beneficial side effects when the thermostat is turned down like; less propane used, less cycling on of the exterior fridge rear cooling fan, less heat in the van from fridge etc...

I took the suggestion fron the vanagon archives document;

http://www.med.umn.edu:8853/misc/archives/Files/Refridgerator-Manual

The fan addition is VERY simple. Just buy a matchbook size PC cooling fan at Radio Shack for about $10. You can steal some power at the fridge 12V connector in the cabinet to the right of the fridge. Add a small switch to the wire and volia. To mount it I just gently pried open the rightmost two cooling fins and squeezed in the fan so no mounting hardware was required.

Man that beer is cold now...

Richard - 85 Westy 120K

PS: PS: If you don't feel mechanically inclined you can buy a fridge recirculating fad that runs off two "D" battery cells at Camping World or other RV stores for about $15. It should do somewhat the same thing. Although the small fan blows directly across the cooling fins. Which is why it gets so cold.