Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 7 Jul 1997 21:59:32 -0800
From:         "Shawn & Janis Wright" <vwnut@smuslabs.smus.bc.ca>
Subject:      Re: Help! '88 Clutch problem (more info)

On 7 Jul 97 at 20:39, kenneth d lewis wrote:

> Date: Mon, 7 Jul 1997 20:39:00 -0500 > Reply-to: kdlewis@juno.com > From: kdlewis@juno.com (kenneth d lewis) > To: Multiple recipients of list <vanagon@lenti.med.umn.edu> > Subject: Re: Help! '88 Clutch problem (I'm back...;)

> What do you mean by "randomly disengage"? Does the clutch slip or is the > transmission popping out of gear?I can not remember ever hearing of a > pilot bearing failing( I am sure they do though).It sounds like the > clutch is not disengaging. Lie under the car while someone pushes on the > clutch pedal. Watch slave actuate the T/O bearing arm. Is it rotating > or is it rotating AND moving away from the slave cylinder? Could be a bad > bushing (long shot). Get a little more info and get back with us. > Drive Safely & Good Luck > Ken Lewis > 86 VW Transporter Three Door Pickup > 60 Porsche T-5 Coupe > > On Mon, 7 Jul 1997 15:26:22 -0500 VWNUT@smus.bc.ca writes: > > > > when the clutch decided to randomly disengage, usually during 3-2 shift > on a 15% uphill grade... I recalled that the pilot bearing had been done > twice > >by the PO and started pondering just what the heck it does, and why > >this $6 part could be causing all this annoyance. > >Anyway, the problem was worst after 1-2 hrs of hard driving it > >seemed, but we made it another 300+ kms home with little drama aside > >from a few missed "speed" shifts. > >

Ok. I figured since the pilot bearing has been done twice that maybe it was a common weakness, but I guess not. Here's some more detail on what happens:

First noticed after pulling over, leaving engine on, in neutral to get out & take a picture. Pressed clutch, but wouldn't go in any gear. Shut off engine, went in gear fine. Started engine in neutral, same problem going into gear when running again. Let it sit for 5-10 minutes while crawling around, checking brake fluid, leaks, etc. No problems seen.

Started engine again, this time went in gear, but every 3rd or 4th shift would not go in gear. Matching rpms worked fine & using clutch worked fine.

Next problem: After several more pullouts & not able to get into gear, found that I could start engine with it in 1st & clutch in, and it would lurch a few feet, then clutch would "let go" Reved engine, released clutch as normal and continued, although with some lurching on occasion, as clutch seemed to grab at random.

Final problem: Stopping a light, sitting in 1st gear, clutch would grab without warning, sometimes enough to stall engine, sometimes not.

Two important notes: During this whole thing, clutch pedal action *felt* completely normal. Also, there was absolutely NO slipping, even climbing 15% grades at full throttle in 2nd or 3rd, with van well loaded (~5000 lbs over scales)

One thing I did think of at the time but never had the chance to try, was pumping the clutch to check for "leakdown" in one of the cylinders. The road conditions made this kind of test too dangerous (if you've driven the Duffy Lake road, you'll know what I mean... :) Interestingly, the last ~150kms or so of driving, mainly highway, the problem did not recur.

ps: I will try the above test on TO arm & return the results later tonight.

Thanks!

Shawn & Janis Wright '88 Westy (338k) '85 Jetta TD (375k) VWnut@smus.bc.ca : swright@smus.bc.ca http://www.islandnet.com/~swright/vw.html http://www.smus.bc.ca