Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         8 Jul 1997 09:08:13 -0600
From:         "Carl Hansen" <Carl_Hansen@ATK.COM>
Subject:      Bilsteins for Syncro front.

BatSubject: Bilsteins for Syncro front. 7/8/97 9:13 AM Sorry, not yet. Here's the full story as it stand today.

I spoke with Scott at Bilstein East, and he forwarded my request complete with shock dimensions and vehicle weight to engineering. They responded that due to the small potential market, tooling costs would be prohibitively expensive, and they would not make a shock for so small a market.

But it doesn't end there. During my discussions with Scott, it was mentioned that a German gentleman (he used to work with Bilstein-Germany, he now works at Bilstein West in San Diego) DID make two sets, one for his own Syncro, one for a South African gentleman who does quite a bit of off-roading. However, he explains that it was a one time effort and due to liability issues, he declines to make any more. (They would have been prohibitively expensive even if I had been able to convince him to do so.) I will not post his name here (U.P.) as I got the impression he would prefer me not to.

In my discussions with U.P., he mentioned a number of things.

1. He thought that there was some discussion at Bilstein-Germany, in conjunction with "ProjektZwo", about making a shock for the Syncro front, but he was not aware of the outcome of that discussion.

2. For his own application, U.P. used a 43 mm shock, with a 14 mm shaft. He also had to cut off the stock Boge ring eye and mounted (welded) it to the Bilstein he used. Evidently the stock eye ring is larger, and takes a larger bolt than the stock Bilstein he used for the front.

3. U.P. also cut the lower stock spring perch off the stock Boge, and welded it onto the Bilstein used.

4. U.P. also mentioned that it was his opinion that the stock Boge did not last long under rough conditions. I don't know if that is true or not.

At this point, for those who urgently need front shocks, I can't offer any hope that we can get them from Bilstein. Bilstein has several times now told me that this is due to two reasons, 1. Tooling costs, and 2. Liability if custom one offs are made.

For extra credit. (Not for the faint of heart)

There are a number of leads noted above to follow up on.

1. Is the 43 mm shock with the 14 mm shaft the stock 2 wheel drive Vanagon front shock. If so, there is enough information noted above to allow an enterprizing sort of person to do a front shock for the Syncro. I don't have a stock 2 wheel drive, and don't have old shocks from one so I can't measure or compare the Syncro fronts with the non-syncro fronts.

It seems to me that it would make sense that the non-syncro Bilstein would be a good starting point, the two vehicles are similar in weight. I'm not aware that either Bilstein or Boge list a separate shock for Campers, and non-campers, with the large weight difference there, so it would make sense that the stock non-syncro shock might make a good base to start with.

I also don't know how well the custom shock U.P. made worked for him or the South African gentleman, but since he did not say that it was a failure, I have to assume that it did work.

INFORMATION NEEDED. Does someone on the list have handy access to stock Boge both non-syncro and syncro fronts? If so, could you please put them side by side and compare them. I expect they will both be the same overall length. we need to know if they are also the same outer diameter, and have the same upper shaft diameter, and are those diameter's 43 mm and 14 mm? It seems clear that the Syncro version will have a larger lower eye ring, and of course, it will have the spring perch.

2. ProjektZwo in Germany, and the Bilstein parent company were mentioned by U.P. It would be worth while to follow up that lead.

INFORMATION NEEDED. Does someone on the list, perhaps in Germany, have a contact with ProjektZwo, or can someone in Germany contact both applications and/or engineering at Bilstein in Dusseldorf? I believe that Bilstein in Dusseldorf is the parent company. It was mentioned by U.P. that some discussion had occurred along the lines of making a shock for the front of a Syncro.

3. Since the vehicle is still made in South Africa, could someone on the list please check with either Bilstein S.A, or a dealer/retailer who handles Bilsteins as to availability of a shock for the front of the Syncro? Please? I realize it's a long shot, U.P. did make the second set for a gentleman in South Africa, actually the effort was initiated by the S.A. gentleman, so he probably was not able to get them.

IN CLOSING.

Sorry, I tried. I haven't given up yet, since there is the ProjektZwo connection and the Stock 2-wheel Bilstein information to track down, but it does not look good. Interested/Capable parties feel free to contact me if you have any thing add or say.

Ch '89 Syncro Beast '86 Scirocco '87 GTI 16V