Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 8 Jul 97 20:14:58 UT
From:         "Tom Brunson" <TABRUN@msn.com>
Subject:      RE: odometer quirkiness

Sean,

I've had to fix similar odo problems on my VWs from '78, '86 (two), & '87 - same problem in each case.

The VDO used a die-cast zinc drive gear that drives the disk stack. This gear is press-fitted onto a perfectly smooth drive shaft. While zinc can be cast very precisely, it is also known for its tendency to "creep" or yield even under low loads.

With time (and probably our high US temperatures - Germany stays cooler than even the northern US) the zinc gear relaxes and starts slipping on the drive shaft. I noticed it usually would stop working first on hot afternoons - then progress to more random behavior, and finally complete failure.

I've cured all mine by taking the odometer apart and using a machinist's center punch to make a few "dings" on the shaft right under where the zinc gear fits. The light dings raise enough material to act like a slight spline. Then reassemble and carefully press the zinc gear back on so it doesn't bind. (Then there's the matter of getting the speedometer needle back in the right position......)

After doing this I've never had another problem. (With the odometers at least!)

Likely another case where our severe US climate is outside the German design parameters. (If only they wouldn't act like it's our fault.)

Tom Brunson