Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 8 Jul 97 22:19:20 UT
From:         "Tom Brunson" <TABRUN@msn.com>
Subject:      RE: Eurovan reliability

My '93 EV MV (92K) has been the least reliable car I've ever had - but the problems have not generally been crippling. Still like the car, but it's no Vanagon. Problems include:

1. Rear A/C quit cooling - solenoid valve in rear coolant line replaced under warranty. Dealer had 3 other cars with same problem. Intermittent problem since - but it is working now.

2. Front & Rear A/C independently lost 3 lowest speeds - both use an identical resistor pack to lower fan speed, and a thermal fuse on the pack tends to fail after time. Replaced 3 so far - $28 but easy to change.

3. A/C compressor intermittent operation - poor contact at connector on compressor. (Always worked OK with shroud off underside, so hard to find.)

4. Instrument circuit problems - gas and temp gauges must share a supply circuit - both drop 1/4 reading - rise again if you push in on the panel.

5. Intermittent starter circuit problem - at times no starter - wiggle shifter, etc. try again and it works. Never able to pinpoint.

6. Accessory relay intermittent. Sometimes after starting all accessories dead. Turn off & restart - generally OK.

7. Mirror mount partially failed, driver's side. Die casting cracked.

8. Electric Window mechanism broke so window fell to open position. Fixed myself, then VW did a recall.

9. Auto transmission (my first car with one in 30 years) replaced under warranty.

10. Control unit replaced under warranty (the real problem with the transmission!)

11. Engine mounts now bad. Local shop reports this is common. OK if you like a vibra-massage at stop lights.

12. Head gasket now has small coolant leak! (and you thought only Vanagons.....)

13. Poor cruise control tuning - surges a lot with light load - changed after control unit replaced, but still not up to US standards. (Vanagon much better too.)

14. Many nuts & bolts loosened or fell off.

15. A/C compressor places unbelievable load on engine. Summer gas mileage drops to 15-16. Dealer said is normal. Commonly switch off A/C to merge onto highway. (Much worse than Vanagons.)

However the car is very comfortable, pretty well designed for repair access (haven't tried replacing engine mounts yet), and it will pull a 2500 lb boat trailer, if you turn off the A/C on hills.

Inept VW mechanics are a common problem now, as most dealers handle VWs as a hobby. Also, so few Eurovans came in to the US the mechanics don't know them. Wish Bentley would finish the manual.

If VW would offer an MV with VR6 I'd trade this in (and keep my Vanagons!)

Tom Brunson