Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 8 Jul 1997 22:52:56 +0000
From:         vwbus@netbiz.net
Subject:      More on propane tanks, a few questions

OK something odd, I'd better be sure I'm talking apples and apples here, both the Bus and '81 Vanagon tanks are 6" diameter, the Vanagon tank approximately 30" long end to end if you measure to the tips of the round caps. Now Manchester had told me the larger of the two styles they made was 8" x 30" (I had assumed larger meant Vanagon versus Bus) but perhaps there are two sizes for Vanagon years with late vans having the 8" tank. What I'm getting at anyway is that extra 2" makes a hell of a volume difference, nearly doubles it in fact. So for the replacement I'd want to bump to at least a 7" diameter or perhaps an 8" diameter if indeed that was stock later on, if not we'd need a discussion on the reduction of ground clearance the tank would cause. It is of course far more effective volume wise to increase the diameter rather than the length of the tank, though I would in fact consider both, say a 7" x 36" tank. With all this discussion of auto fill/stop valves as well, perhaps I need to know something about the later tanks in general. The early have 3 ports, a VAPOR out, approximately 15.5" back from the front of tank, a FILL port 19" back, and the 80% tap (which on early Vans/Buses is merely a brass/rubber plug over a pipe that goes up to a high level in the tank) which you unscrew manually and wait for liquid propane to appear on filling. Without going and looking I'd say these ports are 3/4", 3/4", and 1/4" NPT respectively, the vapor and 80% must go high in the tank, the fill probably not. Anyway anyone want to fill me in on the later tank?

John vwbus@netbiz.net