Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 08 Jul 97 20:20:00 PDT
From:         Gregory M Daughtry <Gregory_M_Daughtry@ccm2.hf.intel.com>
Subject:      Re: Thule roof racks for Westie-Help?

Falconer,

You should call Thule. I'm sure they have a customer support number on the boxes and will be willing to help you.

What they probably mean is that the gutter mount towers will fit a westy if you buy those seperate gutter brackets. You will probably have to drill holes in the side of the top to mount those brackets. Should be less than 10$, or so.

I have a yakima system, and I had to drill the sides, but that is the way I wanted it. I wanted to be able to raise the roof w/out removing the rack. If this is what you want, you should mount the rack toward the rear, so it is easier to lift the top when weighted. Measure twice, drill once. Seal the holes with silicon. I've been very pleased with my system.

Yakima definitely has a really tall gutter mount that will clear the pop top. You can always return your Thule rack to REI and exchange it for a Yakima.

You're right about the folks at REI. Now, you are an expert. But, they do have an excellent return policy.

Good luck.

'Greg '87 Vanagon GL Westfalia 'Govinda'

______________________________ Reply Separator _________________________________ Subject: Thule roof racks for Westie-Help? Author: vanagon@lenti.med.umn.edu at SMTPGATE Date: 7/8/97 6:13 PM

Just purchased Thule racks for my Westfalia. The parts list says that the No. 300 raingutter foot pack fits this vehicle. Too bad I didn't open the box at the REI store. When I opened the box at home it was obvious they were too short to clear the roof. I immediatly went out to the vehicle to confirm it. Does anybody know what's up? Anybody have Thule racks that fit the Westie? The folks at the REI store don't seem to have a clue. On the other hand maybe I'm not very bright either and can't figure out how they are supposed to work.

1984 Westfalia in Michigan