Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 9 Jul 1997 12:45:57 -0500
From:         Dave <dfilcoff@stlnet.com>
Subject:      Oil burning and Tires

I have a few questions, first, I just replaced a broken exhaust pipe in = hopes that it would eliminate my high idle and periodic oil burning, = wishful thinking. Here was my reasoning, the hole in the exhaust, = (front X-over) which is before the O2 sensor, was letting air into the = system, telling the O2 sensor the engine was running lean, which caused = the system to use more gas, which in turn washed oil out the tail pipe. = Well, the oil consumption has gone way down, but it still burns oil = sometimes. It only burns oil at low RPM's in a hard turn. Any Ideas? = Repairing the exhaust pipe also helped the previously constant high idle = which is now sporadic. Could these problems be related? I think it = could be electrical, like a ground strap or maybe a valve guide.

Finally, I was looking at tires and I found the Michelin Energy MXV4 = 205/70 HR14 95H touring All-season . The tires are H rated (130 Mph), = which is irrelevant to me, but they are 4 season radials that can hold = 1,499 lbs. each (95=3D1,499lbs), the tire seems adequate, what do you = think? BTW, this one isn't cheep, they are around $110 a piece. Does = anyone have these? Also, are the Michelin MXT's good in the snow? = Thanks.

Dave Filcoff Dfilcoff@stlnet.com http://home.stlnet.com/~dfilcoff 87 Vanagon GL Wolfsburg (122k) =20 * LiMBO (Late Model Bus Organization international) * VWoA VW Club=20 * Gateway Volkswagen Club