Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         9 Jul 1997 13:29:15 -0600
From:         "Carl Hansen" <Carl_Hansen@ATK.COM>
Subject:      re-  Stuck bolt

BatSubject: re: Stuck bolt 7/9/97 2:06 PM On Date: Sun, 6 Jul 1997 13:21:38 -0400 (EDT) This guy said From: RubatoGuy@aol.com

In checking out my '88 Westy, I decided to take a look at the spare, Unfortunately the 19mm bolt that hold the tray that the spare rests on does not want to come off. Any clever ideas? I was thinking of just finding a garage with an air wrench that I could talk a mechanic to applying to the bolt. ********* My Dad used to have my Grandfathers '37 Buick. One day, long after we had stopped using the vehicle, Dad was going to see if he could get it going so my brother-in-law could take it out to Custer S.D. and make one good car from two. He had another out there.

Dad went to pull the plugs. Tooooooo tight. He used a BAW (big as wrench), still toooo tight. So, this being a flat head, he poored some liquid wrench into the holes and came back an hour later. Still toooo tight. Soooo he poured in some more liquid wrench and came back later that afternoon. Still tooooo tight. Soooo he poured in some more liquid wrench and ...... forgot it for a month.

When he came back to the project, the plugs turned out by hand with his fingers.

Moral of the story: trust liquid wrench. It works if you give it some time.

Ch '89 Syncro Beast '86 Scirocco '87 GTI 16V