Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 09 Jul 1997 16:03 -0600 (MDT)
From:         BLAINE_BACHMAN%PL-01M3@ccmail.plk.af.mil
Subject:      Re: Fridge/pump fuse problem

Styling myself as somewhat of a VW electrical whiz, I'd like to help. However description of the problem as "upper fuse" (versus lower fuse?) perplexes me since my '91 would be better described as having, "a forward fuse and a rearward fuse" on the wall panel behind the driver's seat and the wiring diagram in my Bentley book really doesn't describe the orientation.

But I digress.

From what I've been able to tell, there should be an 8A fuse (usually white) and a 16A fuse (usually red) in this auxilliary fuse block. I recall that the 16A fuse only runs the 12V heating element for the fridge (and according to legend, is fed by a relay which only gives it power when the alternator is spinning).

The 8A fuse runs the pump, the fridge fan, the indicator panel on the front of the sink/stove/fridge, and on the 182B fridge at least, the electronic ignitor.

Now, if you take the approach that none of these items alone or in combination with the others should be drawing 8A, that the engineers designed it this way, and heap upon this the evidence that all has been working fairly well over the many years since the vehicle was created, then you have to conclude that something's wrong. And it's probably not the fuse! There's little reason to get out an ammeter and measure the current draw in the system. A little fuse has already sacrificed its 8A life to tell you that it's more than 8 amps!

So, if the fuse pops right when you put it in, there's either a short in the wiring to any of the above listed items, or a shorted fan motor on the back of the fridge (of course, the thermo switch would have to be engaged), or a short in the faucet switch on the "near" side of the switch, or a short in the indicator panel (and if you have a 182B, possibly a short in the switch which selects propane cooling).

The most direct thing to do is to find all the removable connectors between the fuse and all the "components", and disconnect them; make sure the fuse is good. Then, beginning at the fuse, reconnect each connector, check the fuse, then move on. If all goes well, when you reconnect the shorted wire/component, the fuse will pop.

At this point, it only remains to examine the evidenced source of the problem and isolate the fault, fix it, and you're back in business (notice how quickly I can state what is probably the hardest part of the problem?).

Now you know why your shop wants so much for troubleshooting.

Of course, it goes almost without saying that if the fuse pops when you turn one of the components on, you've likely found your problem.

BTW, check out my earlier post about the burn-up of my fridge cooling fan and subsequent popping of my 8A fuse. May be a place to start.

-Blaine