Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         10 Jul 1997 09:12:02 -0600
From:         "Carl Hansen" <Carl_Hansen@ATK.COM>
Subject:      re- antenna's (FUBA)

a re: antenna's (FUBA) Hi all, a little late, but better than never.

Rather than install something in the stock location, I installed a FUBA antenna on the roof. Just like the units found on 16 valve and other "hot" VW's. You know the one, with the neat rakish tilt to the back. They are available from Crutchfield and many other locations in both amplified and non-amplified versions. I chose the amplified version.

The hardest part of the instalation was running the antenna cable forward and down the windshield post. There was sufficient coax cable provided to reach all the way. I ran it forward in the left side corner channel all the way up and down the windshield post on the drivers side. I installed the unit centered left to right and about 9 3/4 inches (center of the antenna base) forward of the back roof edge at the rear hatch so that it clears the overhead AC unit. You want it forward of the condensor and back of the front edge of the air conditioner housing. I forget if the coax drops straight down or off at an angle. I do remember thinking that the under headliner antenna parts would have to be hidden by the air conditioner housing plastic, I think)

Looks very nice, works excelently. The antenna gives excellent range. Also available in straight versions for stock location. I put one of the stock straight types on the SO's Scirocco. I think it would fit the Vanagon stock location as well. I chose the roof version because I wanted a uniform pattern. I thought that the reception pattern of the antenna might be compromised by the stock corner location.

ONLY DRAWBACK: Does not clear dad's 7 foot garage door. It hits as I drive in, which might be ok, but as the door rises, or I back out, the antenna catches on the stiffenir ribs and bends back at an odd angle. I'm pretty sure the bending is not good for it long term. It DOES clear my 8 foot garage door. Solution to the problem is to unscrew the antenna from the base for the few times we travel to dad's and park in the garage.

Feel free to contact me for details if you like.

Ch '89 Syncro Beast '86 Scirocco '87 GTI 16V