Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 10 Jul 97 23:38:12 UT
From:         "Tom Brunson" <TABRUN@msn.com>
Subject:      RE: Replacing the seal on luggage rack

Having just replaced the same seals (surprizing effect - really makes the van seem new again) - I had no problem with the 4 rear bolts, as there was enough give in the insulation and/or headliner to make them spring back up as the rack came into alignment. They didn't all pop up at once, but with a little jiggling nothing else was required.

Right - the amount of trash and leaves under the rack was amazing. With the rack off I just cleaned and waxed to give a bit more surface protection. Maybe removing the rack every few years is a good idea just to clean underneath. Could have raised earthworms under mine. Sealed compartments always get stuff in better than it goes out. I think I'll leave the drain holes open just so air can get in to dry it out (eventually).

I know I've seen the tie-down fittings in a catalog, but I don't recall where. I've a couple broken too.

Tom Brunson