Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 10 Jul 1997 23:36:36 -0400 (EDT)
From:         PhilGeller@aol.com
Subject:      Re: Losing Power (the solution)

I want to thank everyone for the help on my problem (losing power climbing I-80 up to Lake Tahoe.) The winning answer was the O2 sensor. When it was unplugged, the problem disappeared.

I had the choice of replacing it with a generic sensor for $44, or a Bosch for $85 (single wire). I went with the Bosch, and also decided to let German Motors in Lake Forest do it (aka George's), based on recommendations from several of you. While looking things over they found a lot of parts that were cracked, decrepit, or out-of-date (expansion tanks, distributor cap, rotors, plug wires, temperature switches). It was akin to a house remodeling. I'm now up to date. I also found George to have a much more proactive (and probably more expensive) approach the Fred's Garage in Redwood City, where I usually take my '85 Westy. George seemed to have good reasons for all the changes. Have others seen this difference? The reasoning I got at George's seemed sound. Fred's just seems to fix what is broken, and not be concerned with parts that can be updated or improved.

Also I was told that I should be using distilled water with the non-phosphate coolant. Anyone else doing this?

Phil Geller