Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 02 Jul 1997 22:23:44 -0500
From:         "Mark B. Magee" <condor2@flash.net>
Subject:      Re: Freon Conversions / Substitutes

As a fellow Hot Country Texan, I had to chime in on this one. My auto A/C man is a personal friend of 25 years, not a German shop. In my quest for R-12 replacement he showed me the list of all substitutes including FR-12 and he told me all apparently work well. But the downside is that nearly all of them require guages or special equipment that the standard auto A/C shop will not have. jThis would mainly be the recovery equipment they have. In the servicing of your unit, with thier recovery unit they are not allowed by law to co-mingle any of the diff substitutes in their recovery equpipment. All refrigerants -must- be recovered if a system is being worked on. And theoretically (legally) they must have a separate recovery unit for each refrigerant they service. Secondarily, they all wiegh in at different wieghts, and the shop must have a different unit for wieghing the refrigerant when they put it back in (in case the system is low and they have to add some.) My friends shop has settled on only converting to RF-134a and are apparently having very good success. This forced them to only purchase one additional set of "tools" to maintain these systems. What they have learned (not sure where) is that the RF-134a does indeed run at a higher pressure that R-12 and they were instructed to fill the system w/20% less (by volume or wieght: I'm not sure which) and that this releives the pressure on the system (compressor) and cools almost exactly as well as R-12. There's what I've heard. My system is still R-12 until I need a bunch, then I will go RF-134a for the above detailed reasons. My nickels worth. Mark B. Magee 87GL 83K Kemah TX USA