Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 11 Jul 1997 11:21:48 +0000
From:         "Karl Bloss" <blosskf@ttown.apci.com>
Subject:      antennas (FUBAR) /f

<FRIDAY>

Rather than install something in the stock location, I installed a FUBAR antenna in the engine compartment. Just like the units found on Pintos. They are available from Lillian Vernon and many other locations in versions with and without leads to the starter solenoid. I chose the one with.

The hardest part of the installation was running the antenna cable through the plastic coolant tubes under the van. There was sufficient coax cable provided to reach all the way including securing the cable by wrapping a few lenghts around the #3 cylinder exhaust port, except I had to drill a hole in the engine tin to get access. I installed the unit by drilling and tapping a hole in the AC high-pressure hose since it seemed solid enough.

Looks very nice, works like crap. The battery seems to short out when I start the van and I hear a crackling sound in the engine compartment, smoke is coming out of my cassette tape player, the antenna keeps melting when the van gets up to temperature (which seems to overheat and lose LOTS of coolant; I think it is happening at the coolant tubes under the van), picks up lots of whining from the starter and now my AC doesn't work any more (low pressure switch doesn't let the clutch kick in, so I bypassed it and now the compressor has a funny whining sound like a kitchen disposal when you turn off the water). I chose the engine compartment version because I wanted it to be out of sight. My whole van seems to be FUBARed. I don't get it...

Anyway, the phone number for the company is 1-800-FUBAR-ME

</FRIDAY>

;-) I saw this message yesterday and couldn't resist saving it for today. No offense intended to the original poster. :-)

-Karl Karl F. Bloss - blosskf@ttown.apci.com '87 Vanagon GL Weekender "Beverley" http://www.enter.net/~bloss/vw/