Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 11 Jul 1997 09:58:19 -0700
From:         lcarter@cowichan.com (Larry Carter)
Subject:      The sweet spot

Hello; I was driving back from the flying feild (model planes) yesterday,everything was singing along happily, I thought about the many other vans and cars I've owned and driven over the years. I bought a 68 Beetle new in 68, that car was wonderful but it felt strained if I tried to drive it over 65 mph for any distance. Then there was the 63 deluxe van that felt uncomfortable at any speed over 50 mph (36 hp) then there was the 69 van that seemed to know where I wanted to go before I turned it in that direction, and would counter any big wind gusts almost automatically, and would sail along at 70 all day if I asked it to. Then the 73 sweet pickles van that didn't seem happy at any speed, and prefered third gear to forth. Then the 75 Westy which seemed to thrive on bad conditions and said " go ahead flog me, I can take it" it seemed happiest at about 68 mph, and loved the logging roads around here. Then came a 78 Diesel rabbit I used for 9 years, 3 engines, which was comfortable capable of anything I could put it to, and had heat in the winter. It felt most happy at 110 kph. Then there is the 87 BMW 535i, it's sweet spot starts when you close the door and goes up the scale past the 220 kmh I've taken it, but is so capable it asks so little of the driver, I find myself just doing the speed limit and wondering why everyone else isn't doing just like me. Another annoying thing is that I never even get to look into the engine compartment, or explore unusual noises. The car doesn't seem co-dependant, it doesn't need me. Now I've got an 87 Vanagon GL, it seems happiest at about 100 kph (3400 rpm) and seems to say to me " lets go exploring" I've had to do a few things to her ( 2 rack and pinions, a heater fan switch) but both of us have benefitted from this symbiotic relationship. I've never named any vehicle I've owned although many have exhibited definate personality traits. I suppose every vehicle has it's "sweet spot" it just occurs to me that that is what gives a vehicle character, and endears it to you. Larry Carter