Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 02 Jul 1997 13:05:46 EDT
From:         uvx196@juno.com (Jim Thompson)
Subject:      Re:  AC in Air-Cld vs Water-Cld, Opinions Please!

One of the basic differences between the York Compressors and the later varieties are that the York was a "piston" type compressor that definitely consumed critical horsepower needed. This of course was amply supplied by most of any of the "Detroit Iron" which even the smallest straight 6 could provide. But it was the only type available until the late 70's on American Cars when the "Radial" type (some times called the "Vane" type) of compressor was introduced, much more efficient and did not consume as much HP. Vane type compressors operate on a similar approach like the FI fuel pump, except the A/C is driven by a belt.

I believe VW intro'd these vane compressors in 79 or 80 in their watercooled line-up, but didn't reach the Vanagon until the Wasserboxer was introduced in Jan of 83. I owned a Rabbit PU Diesel with one of these. Could hardly tell the difference in power when turned on and I sure froze my butt off with one of these if I didn't watch it.

However, we all know that vane compressors didn't solve all of VW's continuing A/C problems which most on the list (plus Lawdy knows others) have had the displeasure to experience. I'm picking up a very low mileage/almost new 90 Fox Wagon (for local commuting round) this next week that the original A/C is still functioning quite well, but I'm sure it might be due for servicing.

I haven't reconnected the Rear A/C on my Westy yet. I'd like to break-in the engine first. I've capped off the lines in the engine compartment to prevent internal contamination until I decide whether or not I want to replace the compressor (frozen) or just remove the whole contraption for more room in the rear overhead.

Jim 84 Westy 2.1 62 Beetle (Father was original owner) Sherwood Automotive * The Old Volks Home (oldvolkshome1@juno.com) (916) 221-5342