Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 12 Jul 1997 09:15:50 -0400
From:         "John H. Fleming" <JFleming3@compuserve.com>
Subject:      Camping suggestions in Vermont New Hampshire?

> I'm looking for suggestions on favorite sites in that area. What i'm looking for is someplace scenic on a lake where we can rent canoes. those are about my only requirements, except at least pit toilets.Any one=

have any ideas? tia, Don Kane >

I live in South Burlington, Vermont. It depends on how you come down fro= m Montreal. You can come into the West side of Vermont down Rt 89 or the East side down Rt 91. Naturally there are local roads to follow if you like the slower scenic routes. 91 makes it easier to get into the White mountains and lake regions of New Hampshire and 89 gets you into the Lake=

Champlain and heart of Vermont. I live by Lake Champlain.

Canoe & Kayak rentals are everywhere, even about half of the state parks.= =

If you can carry it, even normal rent-a-stores have them. As I live here= , I only use the day-use areas. But There's several state parks along Rt 2 = in the Lake Champlain Islands. Most parks have hot showers for a quarter. = On the southern tip of Lake Champlain is DAR state park & Button Bay. DAR h= as more trees, but Button Bay is on the water and near a maritime museum. =

Both rent boats. This museum just discovered the revolutionary war gunbo= at that Benedict Arnold used and they also have a complete Abnaki Indian pottery jar over 1000 years old.

Then you can head down Rt 7 on the West side, or Rt 89 through the middle=

and into NH at Lebanon. Lots of stuff to do. Theres some great places just North East of Montpelier.

If you go East, down 91 from Quebec it's more rustic. I've stayed at Maidstone state park on the NH VT border South of Bloomfield. This is called the Northeast Kingdom. You can camp on the water. There's a quie= t little park near Ascutney called Wilgus State Park. They are on the Connecticut river and rent canoes.

New Hampshire has the white mountains and a popular lake region around La= ke Winnipesaukee. I haven't camped there much.

Call 1-800-Vermont & they'll send maps & camping guide. The campground guide has private campgrounds, too. But I don't normally go there except=

every once in a while on a long trip (like yours) for a taste of long hot=

showers, "modern" entertainment for my son, & etc..

Good Luck. And hopefully you won't need it, but I know a good mechanic i= n Burlington who works on the road.

John Fleming