Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 13 Jul 1997 05:42:37 -0700 (PDT)
From:         Steven Johnson <sjohnson@calweb.com>
Subject:      Re: Head gasket FIX!!!

At 07:38 PM 7/12/97 -0500, dgibbons@presray.com wrote:

>VW has on water cooled cars put in either an afterrun fan thermo switch OR a >afterrun COOLANT PUMP and thermo switch (Many golf III's and all Eurovans >have this). MB also has this device on many cars. What it does is circulate >coolant thru the engine and radiator after the engine has shut off. This >keeps engine and coolant temps from sky rocketing after shut-off. > >What would happen if vanagon waterboxers had such a system? Would the engine >stay cool after a hot run? Would the water jacket gasket stay cooler? Would >the heads stay cooler under the same conditions?

I've been doing this manually for my '91 Camper ever since I read in the manual that after long hauls or uphill climbs, that you should let the engine run for a couple of minutes before you shut off the engine. I've pretty much adopted this to most of my runs which are mostly to and from work. I don't know yet if I'm wasting my time and gas or if it will pay off. I have 97K miles with no gasket leaks or other leaks except for the stupid little gasket that is for the small connection by the alternator. But I think that eventually it will start leaking no matter what you do. I am, hopefully, extending that deadline a somewhat..... :)

Steven

sjohnson@calweb.com