Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 13 Jul 1997 13:20:34 -0500 (CDT)
From:         Tim Marciniak <tmarcini@execpc.com>
Subject:      Screw extractors any good?

Does anyone have experience with screw/bolt extractors? Do they work? Are they brittle, do they break or crack leaving a half broken extractor inside the already broken bolt.

I'm currently at a standstill with a small project on the van--replacing a ground wire that is fastened to the engine block and goes to the ignition coil ground. This ground wire is directly under the air conditioner compressor. My first step was to loosen up the 8mm hex head allen bolts that bolt the compressor to the mounting bracket so that I could swing the compressor slightly out of the way and access the area under the compressor to get at the ground bolt. My first look at these allen bolts I see that they have already been turned in the past cause the holes for the allen wrench look somewhat rounded. Well I am able to loosen up the back allen bolt but no way can I get the 8mm allen wrench to really grab the front allen bolt because the hole is already pretty well rounded. Next step is I take a 3/8 inch allen wrench and crudely grind it down to about a 9mm hex allen wrench. I hammer this into the front allen bolt and as I torque it to loosen up this bolt I just round out the whole further. I was able to torque this quite a bit but this bolt is really stuck. I can't get vice grips on this allen head either cause their just isnt enough room to grab the head of this bolt. There is however probably enough room to drill into this bolt and insert a srew extractor which may be my next step.

If any body has any ideas I sure would like to hear them.

Tim Marciniak 90 Multivan