Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 13 Jul 1997 19:28:51 -0500 (CDT)
From:         Tim Marciniak <tmarcini@execpc.com>
Subject:      Re: Screw extractors any good?

Mark,

You Said,

>The next step is to have a shop weld a bolt head onto the allen head and go >from their. >IMHO the hammer blows and the heat are equally important as having a good >secure head to wrench connection. Heat does wonders and is the final word >in loosing. We call it the "flame wrench". Hammer blows do miracles too. >Why? I don't exactly know, but I've seen stuff drop off just by hitting it >and waiting. Go figure.

I think I might try this, I could either weld a bolt head or weld my rough homemade 9mm allen wrench to what is left of the head of the original allen bolt. I have access to a gas welder so this just might work. I was using a allen type socket wrench but as soon as I would torque the bolt the wrench would loose its grip and pop out. The allen bolt is pretty deformed from all my attempts. I just hope that I can get a good enough weld to torque on the bolt to get it out.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Tim Marciniak 90 Multivan