Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 13 Jul 1997 23:57:20 -0400 (EDT)
From:         DiandChris@aol.com
Subject:      Would like some advice on a problem

Hello all! I am mailing this to the list even though I am not a current list member in hopes that someone who knows or has gone through this problem can help me. Please email me directly so I can use your words of wisdom and get back on the road! Last week my '86 Westy GL stalled after 45 minutes of highway driving and would not start. I discovered the engine was not running as I coasted up to the stop sign at the exit . It wouldn't restart so I pushed it to the side, wiggled all the spark plug and fuel injector wires, checked the oil and coolant levels (both OK), and scratched my head. The day was warm but not hot, and the engine had been running its normal needle-on-the-LED-in-the-center-of-the-temp-gauge temperature. I took off the gas cap and got no 'whooshing' of air in or out. I had noticed a tiny 'hesitation' or power drop around 3000 rpm every so often--like one cylinder didn't fire once--but this was very infrequent. About 15 minutes passed so I tried to start it and everything was fine! After reloading the luggage and driving for another 15 minutes the problem resurfaced. This time I noticed that when RPMs dipped below 3000 or so, it felt like the ignition had simply been turned off. It seemed like somehow I wasn't getting spark or gas, so in a vain effort to get to where I was going, I stomped on the gas. To my surprise the engine sluggishly came back from the dead! As long as I kept above 3000 rpm I could keep going. The engine seemed less and less willing to do this the longer I drove, possibly since it began to run on the warm side (the front cooling fan was kicking in) due to the higher sustained rpms. Later that evening I finally made it to my destination (after several unplanned stop-and-waits), and checked all the levels again. Everything was fine, except for the driver. We stayed overnight. On our return trip the exact same thing happened. Fine for 45 mins-1 hour, stalled unless I stomped the gas, gradually getting hotter and stalling more readily until it really quit and I got someone to tow me the last 3 miles. So I need some help diagnosing the problem. Is it injectors? Fuel pump? Ignition system? A bad sensor? The computer? Where should I start? Has anyone experienced this before? Last bits of info: I have noticed a small coolant leak from the left side of the engine, but don't know if this is related. Also I had 1 occurance of this 'stall' about 1 month ago, but we were at our destination and didn't have any problems on the way home. Then we went on a 2-week-long, 3500-mile trip through Wyoming and Montana with 95 degree temps and very long drives--and never, ever had any problem at all!! I am stumped and don't want to drive far enough to make this happen again, so I hope someone can help. Thanks for your words of wisdom in advance! Chris Hutchinson 'Der Igel" 114.5K