Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 14 Jul 1997 08:54:59 -0700 (PDT)
From:         "Christopher M. Smith" <csmith@sdsc.edu>
Subject:      New vanagon list - UPDATE IV

Hello again one-n'-all;

It's been awhile, so I thought I'd send a friendly note everyone's way to let them know where we stand with the new vanagon list (since Gerry Skerbitz at U Minnesota is retiring as list admin). Our new server is up-n'-running now. In tribute to Gerry who started and has administered the list for many years, we named the server 'gerry'.

My apologies for not being a bit more timely getting the list up-n-running. I had hoped to have it working over the July 4th holiday. Between 'gerry', work projects (those for which I actually get paid), and a new house that needs losts of TLC, I've been a little tight with time these past few weeks. It's been a bit problematic getting everything together to get 'gerry' running. The internal network connections on 'gerry' were'nt compatible with our in-house network. So in lieu of having our work-support people decipher the problem (at $100 an hour, if we had to pay for it!), I purchased a new ethernet card ($79). There are some other minor things that still need to be fixed, for example, the 'cheap' monitor we purchased turned out to have practically zero resolution. I 'stole' the monitor from my wife's computer at home as a temporary replacement. She's already started omplaining. When I get some more time (or the compliants get unbearable), I'll go out and exchange the 'cheap' monitor for a new one ($215 vs. $95). I have the software license for LISTSERV (which runs the list) and LSMTP ( software which is essentially a 'postmaster'). And Ron Lussier (our off-site co-admin) should have a full set of software documentation by now. I'll need to key him in on things as well.

Provided we don't encounter any unsurmountable problems, here is the game plan for the week.

***Tuesday: LISTSERV/LSMTP configuration and tweaking.

***Wednesday: BETA testing of the list ... I'll need volunteers!

***Thursday: If all goes well!, I'll release the list to the entire group. Gerry Skerbitz sent me a copy of the subscribers list for vanagon at lenti.med.umn.edu which I intend to incorporate into the new vanagon subscribers list at gerry.sdsc.edu.

I'll post a follow-up on Thursday to let everyone know the list is up and what the new address is.

Cheers, Chris co-admin, new vanagon list SDSC csmith@sdsc.edu