Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 14 Jul 1997 11:23:34 -0500
From:         "Randy Newell" <rnewell@epower.net>
Subject:      Re: Upper A-Arm Bushing repair

Actually, I took it to the local VW shop, the bolts were rusted together so I knew it would be a REAL pain to get it apart with my still limited (but getting larger by the week) tool supply. You guys might want to get a mechanic opinion before you jump in. The local VW shop has gotten so much business from me (oil seal repair, tires) that they don't even charge me for a quick "put it on the lift to see what's up". They only charged me 1 hr @ $34 per. Cheapest I've seen for a mechanic anywhere. I guess they figure they will always get you on the parts, but I had my own, which they didn't seem to mind. In fact, they were very curious as to where I got them, seems that they like to sell the off-brand parts when they can too,... Randy Newell rnewell@epower.net

---------- > From: Carl Hansen <Carl_Hansen@ATK.COM> > To: Multiple recipients of list <vanagon@lenti.med.umn.edu> > Subject: Upper A-Arm Bushing repair > Date: Friday, July 11, 1997 4:40 PM > > BatSubject: Upper A-Arm Bushing repair (long) 5/30/97 9:43 AM > Hi, I am reposting this 'cause I couldn't find it in the archives, and I > recall at least one question about how to do this in late June. I stumbled > across a copy, remembered my promise to Randy Newell to send it, and there you > are. > > Perhaps someone can tell me how to make sure this gets to the appropriate > person that can add it to FAQ's or Technical Hints, or??? There is a correct > place to archive it, I can't seem to find the bookmark at the moment. > > Ch Any Tool can be > the right tool > '89 Syncro Beast > '86 Scirocco > '87 GTI 16V > > > ****************************************************** > HOW TO, UPPER A-ARM BUSHING REPAIR. DoItYourSelf > > 1. Jack up the front, yank on the top of the wheel, push in and out. If it's > loose and rattles, yup, at least one bushing is shot. The wear mode on mine > was that the inner sleave locks to the outer sleve and then everytime the > suspension unloads on the right, or compresses on the left, the forces are > such that the nut on the long bolt that holds the whole thing together > loosens. You lose the alignment, and hear rattles and clunks. It is very > easy to tell, you can see stuff move "up there". > > 2. So take it all off. Follow Bently, he won't stear you wrong. > > 3. Do do both sides, if one is gone, the other is probably not far behind. > When you're done, go to the dealer and have him do a front alignment. By the > way, tell him to check for anything else you should do before the alignment > BEFORE he does the alignment. My guy charged ahead, did the alignment, and > later noted that the lower rubber bushings were shot, the tie rod ends were > gone, the wheel bearings were going, etc. etc.... You should check some of > that yurself while you have the front up. > > Make sure your Alignment shop has teh updated data for alignment of a Syncro. > Derek Drew did a nice posting of the details and this should be in the > archives. Look for "Alignment For Vanagon Syncro" and message number > "msg07812". I am reading this from the sheet I printed, and note that Derek > first posted this on 17 Mar 1994, and reposted sending the info to Joel Walker > on8 Aug 1996. > > 4. OK, how do you get the bushings out. oof da. It's nice to have a > hydraulic press handy, but I think it can be done w/o. In any event, you will > probably have to "help" things out a bit due to the rust you will find. > > 5. How to help the bushings out. > o Cut the fat end off the bushing. I used a band saw, it can be done with > a hacksaw. You are cutting thru a thin shell, some plastic, and a thick inner > steel sleeve so be patient. Cut as close to the a-arm as comfortable, but no > farther away than about 1/8 inch. You need to break an inner connection of > thin metal to thin metal that can make it hard to press out the inner steel > sleave FIRST. > o Press out the inner steel sleave. Support the a-arm, or outer portion of > thebushing, and bang on it. It is just in there with plastic. (and probably > some rust) > o Split the hacksaw so you can insert the blade into the middle of the > bushing. Carefully cut the bushing lengthwise. This helps to release the > bushing from the a-arm by releasing some of the pressure. You are cutting > plastic, and a thin metal outer portion of the bushing. BE CAREFUL. DO NOT > CUT ALL THE WAY THRU. YOU DON'T WANT TO CUT THE A-ARM. > o Take a cold chisel and bang the thin end of the bushing into the center > of the hole. Do it all around, be careful to NOT HIT THE A-ARM, you don't > want to gouge that up. You can bang on whats left of the fat end also. That > helps to release the rust. > o When you've got the fat end cut off, the small end collapsed, and the fat > end banged on, you're ready to try to press the thing out. > o Press the thing out. Sorry, no tricks or short cuts here. Either use a > hydraulic press, or a hammer and socket, or??? what ever you have access to. > I used a hydraulic press, but I think that as easy as it came out after all > the cuts and chiseling, that you could use a big hammer. Support the a-arm so > that the bushing can come out. > o Smooth out the a-arm where you nicked it. trust me, I know you did, I > did, it's not easy to never hit it with the chisel. Just do your best to not > hit it, and file off the rough edges in the FEW places you did hit it > accidently. > > o Now you are just about done. Optional, I put some anti-sieze on the > outer surface of the new bushing to prevent rust a bit and maybe in the next > 150,000 miles it'll be easier to take out. ;) > o Carefully press the new bushings in. Press in straight. Press on the > outer portion of the fat end, do not press on the inner portion of the steel > sleve. > > OK, now you are done and can put the a-arms back togther. Follow Bently > again. > > o HIGHLY RECOMMENDED: DO BUY NEW allen head bolts for the upper ball > joint. I had to take my front apart a second time, two weeks later and had > just as much trouble loosening thes 2 per side bolts as I did the first time. > Of course, by that time, the heads stripped out and I ended up chisseling two > off, and vise gripping one other off. > > o Allign the front. Keep in mind my caution from above, check all the > other stuff on the front BEFORE you spend money aligning the Front. It's no > fun taking it apart again. Especially note the detailed information on > Alignment spec's from Derek Drew. See the Archives. > > It all can be done by u at home in the garage. Remember: > > There is nothing you can't do, just stuff you haven't done yet. and > > The hardest part of any job is starting. and > > Any tool can be the right tool. (Courtesy Red-Green Show) > > Go for it. > > Ch > '89 Syncro Beast > >