Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 14 Jul 1997 22:48:00 EDT
From:         uvx196@juno.com (Jim Thompson)
Subject:      Re: cooler Thermostat

Doc & Jack Reed make some valid points here. My experience with Water Cooled VW's (this is not my first) and a couple of other vehicles make me want my coolant to get to the radiator a lot sooner than a 87C (192F) thermostat allows, especially in Century-Mark Degree weather here in Redding and on the roads throughout the west & southwest. One other possible disadvantage is that it would take the the engine (re: Thermotime Sensor) a little longer to fully warm up, but so far I haven't seen it take long for a Wasser to warm up around here. Every one of my Water Cooled Vehicles have an 80C (180F) Thermostat because the area temperature conditions practically require it for MOST of the year. My heater works way too well in the winter time (mid 20s to upper 30s) in my 78 Chevy and 73 Toyota Pickup to consider using a higher temp Thermostat. On the flip side, if I was living further north, say in Washington, Montana, the Dakotas, Minnesota, Canada etc., and did no driving in the southern part of the states I would probably run the 87C Thermostat for most of the year.

Running without a Thermostat entirely is a big NO-NO. Engine will never operate at optimum temperature range, ECU/Thermotime Sensor will never compensate for it and will run too rich, despite what the O2 sensor's trying to accomplish. Even with the Thermostat open, there is still enough restriction designed into it to correctly regulate the coolant flow to prevent the engine from running too cool - that is one of several reasons to always run a Thermostat. By the same token, a Thermostat that is stuck open is very detrimental when the engine is stone cold and it takes forever to warm up to optimum operating temperature as well.

In addition, I do not recommend running a colder Thermostat in the Diesel's because they require HEAT (at the proper temperature range - 192F) to operate at peak efficiency. Could never get my 81 Diesel Rabbit Pickup to run well with a colder Thermostat - switched it back to the Original and fixed that problem - 78000 miles worth before somebody totaled it on the freeway in LA in 1989.

Quite chilly late last night (30's) in the Southwestern Oregon desert and Modoc County area - heater worked so well I had to pull back the appropriate lever to bring the heat down.

Gee it's nice to have a VW Van where the heater REALLY works :-)

Winter time in Northern Calif does get awful cold - we'll see how she measures up this coming November thru March.

Jim 84 Westy 2.1 62 Beetle (Father was original owner) Sherwood Automotive * The Old Volks Home (oldvolkshome1@juno.com) (916) 221-5342

On Mon, 14 Jul 1997 16:32:43 -0500 Dead Head <cooldoc@iguana.ruralnet.net> writes: >Hello group: my $.02 worth....only differance between the two >thermostats >is that one will opens at 80C and the other at 87C.. Once they open >they >have nothing to do with how hot your motor runs......Only time there >would be any diff is in the winter and one would keep your engine >warmer >than the other....... >Peace, Doc >