Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 11 Jul 97 13:47:09 EDT
From:         Eric Henning <henning@fp.com>
Subject:      purchase advice 80 westy

i guess i am officilly a wannabus (just have to convince my wife she's = a wannabus too! she still has nightmares about travelling in my 67 dodge = van back in the college days)

Thanks to all who responded to my purchase advice about a 1980 westy.

just got back from looking at it. I must have been the first one to look= as the owner cleaned it up very nicely from when i drove by yesterday.

interior was very nice except all the wall panels seemed to be losing = the coverings (contact paper?)

Canvas is in great shape, nice and tight and clean. Cabinet paneling = was in good shape except for the trim pieces along the edges. some cracked, =

slipping.

Dash was clean, no cracks. seat coverings were good.

ran beautifully. I was quite surprised at how smooth it ran. downside = was it was dripping oil on the passenger side exhaust and smoking like crazy. = after test drive a puddle about the size of a silver dollar quickly appeared = and smoke came up from under the wheel wells. Any thoughts as to what can = leak oil onto the exhaust. (near were it bolts to engine, right in line with = the rear tires?

undercarriage looked clean. only rust was around lower corner rear window= ..

does not have stove or refrig, just sink and icebox.

shifted and rode nice.

poptop seals were brittle and cracked.

I am making an appoinment w/ local vw guy to check it out for me.

thanks again

eric henning@fp.com