Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 15 Jul 1997 08:05:41 +0000
From:         "Harry Yates" <hyates@bcit.bc.ca>
Subject:      '90 Syncro Align. Woes/Springs

HI Everyone. I put on some new tires on Friday (Yokohama Y370 LT195/75R14), and had the wheels aligned on the van yesterday. My dealer has a new Hunter alignment machine (purchased new at the beginning of this year).

The front end is well within specs (camber, caster, and toe). The rear is out, and can no longer be adjusted as the eccentric bolt that adjusts camber is at maximum adjustment.

The readings are as follows:

left rear right rear -0 30' -1 00'

the figures are: negative 30 minutes, and negative 1 degree for the right rear.

the specs should be:

-0 25' to +0 15'

Now this will wear one side of the tire more than the other. I took the van in mostly loaded (representing how we always drive it). It was just missing water and us.

My dealer said this isn't too bad, and the cure would be to replace the rear springs. The springs are just under $1100 CDN... parts only!!

Can anyone confirm in Vanagon land that the rear springs would effect camber like this? Does the Syncro have it's own rear springs or do they share with the 2WD vans?

Any advice would be appreciated. Harry. Harry Yates, Langley, British Columbia Canada '90 Syncro Westfalia WWW - http://syncro.cr.bcit.bc.ca/hyates '87 Golf Diesel email: hyates@bcit.bc.ca '91 Miata (Millie)