Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 3 Jul 1997 08:55:48 -0500
From:         "Randy Newell" <rnewell@epower.net>
Subject:      Fuel system maintenance

I want to redo the plastic / hoses and anything else that could be a problem. from the tank to the engine. does anyone know how much hose is needed, and what sizes ? Some of the hoses were recently replaced by VW under recall, so I'll deduct what I don't need when I check it out closer this weekend. I hear that you can use SAE fuel hose in most places. But I also need to know what parts I will need to repair the overflow system on top of the fuel tank also. I want to make sure that I have everything accounted for before I start because the Vanagon is my daily driver. Not to mention that the local VW shop keeps business hours only, and we all know how many times we've heard "I have to order that part"

On another note, I just wanted to thank everyone on the list and especially the people who created this wonderful tool. I've been on about 5 months now and last night I had my first break down that left me working on the side of the highway. After reading all of the warnings from you people, about coolant problems in particular. I have made it a habit to check my temp and coolant level as much as I check my speed. This little habit saved my engine without a doubt. I blew a coolant hose, a small one, but had lost ALL of my coolant. The needle never made it past 2/3 to pegged :) the light was blinking so I pulled over and shut her down. Previous warnings from the list had prompted me to keep all kinds of extra do-dads, (hose clamps, hose, and ALL my tools, at least 2 gallons of water and one coolant, something to put on the ground to keep the road rocks out of your back,...) I was back on the road after a 15min cool down, ( for the engine, and me, after looking at coolant that at first appeared to be coming from the PS head gasket. Boy! that gets you heart racing ! ) and about 20 min work. It turns out to be the small hose coming out of the motor to the expansion tank. Didn't have any hose that size so I used the hose between the two expansion tanks, filled her up with water and away I went to the closest gas station to get extra water for the rest of the ride home. Stopped several times to top off the coolant, seems to get enough of the air out to at least get me home. Finished it up at home, and all is well.

Thanks again! :) Happy 4th of July Vanagoning! Randy Newell rnewell@epower.net