Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 15 Jul 1997 10:53:39 -0700
From:         am1973@monika.ds.boeing.com (Andrew Mera)
Subject:      Re: VW Vanagon newsgroup

While Kevin Lindbloom was complaining on 11.jun about his Norcold fridge not starting at high altitude, two of us EV owners were comiserating about the same problem in the Utah National Parks at 8000 ft. Effectively we were roasting at 90+ degF, had to throw the food away.

>From discussions with Norcold and Winnebago the starting and burning problem in an oxygen-poor environment is already known; depending on fuel pressure and mixture achieved, individual units may exhibit the problem at different elevations; I don't know whether the temperature has any effect. No recall by Winnebago, but a vent kit is now made available to those who have hurt enough and go to the trouble of complaining to the right place.

Have any other listees experienced this problem while above 5000 ft? Anybody tried out the suggested fix? Anybody (Rick Gordon's 12.jun post)) tried out their system under these conditions and had no trouble? I wonder what made the difference?

A possibly related problem: we left the heat of southern Utah and went to Yellowstone, were caught in a snowstorm at 7900 ft; now the LP furnace wouldn't work at night; the airblower kicks in but no heat. We tried it several times the next day, again the altitude seems to be the culprit. The Winnebago rep. thinks this is only a fuel pressure problem. The dum thing: I can take it in for repair, but they cannot duplicate the environmental conditions.