Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 15 Jul 1997 22:09:05 -0600
From:         sealaw@nela.org (Macon Cowles)
Subject:      97 EV Norcold Fridge Problems

I bought a new 97 EV camper from the dealer here in Boulder CO on March 28. Turns out that, though we are a mile high in elevation in our town, the van did not have the Norcold high altitude conversion kit to run the refrigerator properly-or even to light it-at altitudes over 4,000 feet. The high altitude kit, by the way, requires a second vent from the refrigerator to the outside of the van: directly beneath the vent to the outside from the top of the refrigerator. The new vent will be placed at floor level.

The local Winnebago service center has the high altitude kit on order from Norcold. When it had not arrived at the service center for several weeks, I called Norcold and was told that the kit is back ordered from _their_ (Norcold's) supplier. The Winnebago service center also said that MANY purchasers of new EV's are in the same position.

Like other purchasers of the 1997 EV, I have this $34,000 vehicle sitting on our driveway. When we do go on trips with it, we must tote an ice box along with us because we cannot even get the fridge to light. And forget about trying to get the DC current to cool anything. That just does not work. Besides, it will draw down the battery, until the propane alarm goes off, in less than eight hours!

I would like to hear from others who have had a similar experience. At the very least, this is a breach of warranty: bad practice on the part of Winnebago and Norcold to ship new units that have this problem. At worst, and to the extent that this was done knowingly, it is a fraud on purchasers. We gave good value for the vehicle. It should function for the intended purpose.

I understand that this problem also afflicted the 96's. If you have had fridge problems, I would like to hear from you. Perhaps together there is something we can do to have Winnebago make this right for its customers.

Macon Cowles 1680 Wilson Court Boulder, CO 80304 (303) 447-1332