Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 15 Jul 1997 22:03:40 -0700
From:         Lindblooms <lindbloo@ix.netcom.com>
Subject:      RE: EV LP gas ignition woes

Well sounds like I'm definately not the only one. I tried a different dealer and had some luck :-), after the second time in..:-(. The first time they diagnosed the problem as me not turning on the propane! I straightened them out...

The LP appliances are working much better..

For the Norcold fridge, Model # 3163G, they adjusted the flame sensor. This must turn off the gas if it thinks the flame has gone out, and if it is out of adjustment....

I also discovered that the fridge dial in the owner's manual did not match the dial on my fridge. The manual has the start position at 2:00, mine is labeled at 12:00. I called Norcold and they told me that the start position is actually at 11:00. The manual has off at 12:00, could that be what it really is? #$!@$ How many times did I try to start it in the off position?

We were at Yosemite a few weeks ago and still could not get the fridge to light. After trying and giving up, I mistakenly left the dial in start position with the switch on propane mode, when I came back it had lit itself! Not sure if this is safe or not, but it worked on more than one occasion. It would not stay lit through the night though, seems that it went out around 4:00 am. Perhaps when the outside temperature drops.

For the suburban furnace, which would never relight before, they replaced the safety valve(?) and relighter. Furnace seems to work fine now, but I haven't tried it in real cold temps, worked fine in Yosemite at around 6400 ft.. Sorry but they did not list any part numbers on my invoice.

This is our second summer with the rig, at least it is working better than last summer when it didn't work at all. We did a 5,000 mile trek in three weeks last summer to Yellowstone, Glacier, Banff and ran into alot of other EV's with ice in their fridge.

I am going to go back to the dealership for round 10(?), this time to get the altitude problem fixed, maybe see if I can talk them into this "vent kit". Just waiting for my blood pressure to go down from the last visits.

I hope that some of this may help others. Why don't they do a recall? What can we do collectively? How may owners don't have or know of this list and are cussing as we speak?

You're not alone, (slogan borrowed from my company, very fitting..)

Kevin Lindbloom 95 EV Camper

On Tuesday, July 15, 1997 11:01 AM, Andrew Mera [SMTP:am1973@monika.ds.boeing.com] wrote: > (re-mail with corrected title) > > While Kevin Lindbloom was complaining on 11.jun about his Norcold fridge > not starting at high altitude, two of us EV owners were comiserating about > the same problem in the Utah National Parks at 8000 ft. Effectively we > were roasting at 90+ degF, had to throw the food away. > > >From discussions with Norcold and Winnebago the starting and burning problem > in an oxygen-poor environment is already known; depending on fuel pressure and > mixture achieved, individual units may exhibit the problem at different elevations; > I don't know whether the temperature has any effect. No recall by Winnebago, > but a vent kit is now made available to those who have hurt enough and go > to the trouble of complaining to the right place. A not very safe temp. fix: > turning the fridge to LP while driving at lower elevation. > > Have any other listees experienced this problem while above 5000 ft? Anybody tried > out the suggested fix? Anybody (Rick Gordon's 12.jun post)) tried out their system > under these conditions and had no trouble? I wonder what made the difference? > > A possibly related problem: we left the heat of southern Utah and went to > Yellowstone, were caught in a snowstorm at 7900 ft; now the LP furnace wouldn't > work at night; the airblower kicks in but no heat. We tried it several times > the next day, again the altitude seems to be the culprit. The Winnebago rep. > thinks this is only a fuel pressure problem. The dum thing: I can take it in > for repair, but they cannot duplicate the environmental conditions. >