Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 16 Jul 1997 14:23:54 -0400 (EDT)
From:         JordanVw@aol.com
Subject:      Re: "Engine flushing" How to?

In a message dated 97-07-16 12:42:00 EDT, dkane@mail.arc.nasa.gov (Don Kane) writes:

<< I just did this last week. I have also heard that you can use ATF, but I used a product that I think was called engine flush, the manufacturer is Gunk. You just put it in the crankcase, making sure you aren't overfilling with that addition, let the engine idle for 5 minutes, then drain it and put in new oil and a new filter. You can't drive it during the flush, or rev the engine. I did it for 2 lifters that wouldn't pump up. I had tried another product by JB that you add to the oil and drive normally, changing the oil within 1500 miles, but it didn't help my noisy lifters. The gunk product worked fine, the lifters are now quiet. I was warned later by Kyle Wade of Volks-Motorsports that He's seen the flush products cause problems(not the one by JB, He's the one who recommended that one to me). Apparantly they can kick so much junk loose that they can cause a problem with the oil pump, so be careful if you use it and watch your oil pressure afterwards.

I personally know someone who used "motor flush" on their '87 vanagon with 40k (why, I dunno) and collapsed the lifters, and ruined the engine.

use caution....

chris