Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         16 Jul 1997 14:31:15 -0600
From:         "Carl Hansen" <Carl_Hansen@ATK.COM>
Subject:      Re:  Syncro- Brake pads, whe

SyncroBeast re> Syncro: Brake pads, wheelbearings etc In Answere to your Questions:

>From: Mark McCulley <raven@halcyon.com> To: vanagon@lenti Subject: syncro: brake pads, wheel bearings, CVs, etc.

>>>1. Should the rotors be turned each time the front pads are replaced? When I bought the van, the mechanic that did the buyer's check told me that the rotors were too thin to be machined again and that I would have to replace them. Is it OK to just put on the new pads without turning the rotors (and then replace the rotors on the next pad change)? The brakes work fine now, no pulsing on hard stops or anything.

o I can't remember the first or last time that I actually replaced the rotors, or even had them turned. If they are fairly smooth, and $$ are short I'd be tempted to run with em. Actually, I did replace the rotors on my '78 Scirocco a couple of times, but I was AutoCrossing the car, and got a lot of wear with the semi-metallic pads I ran. Stopped real good though.

NOW THE OTHER SIDE. I am in the middle of doing the front of my '89 Syncro Beast myself. My rotors were about 5/16 inch thick, or approx. 1/2 normal. I would have left them, but I did have one area not being used, and since I had to take them off to get at the worn out wheel bearings, I figured I'd at least turn them. Well, the web connecting the disk with the wheel pattern was so rotton, and rusted that it was no thicker than 1/16 inch in places, and the rotors (web) shattered, both sides. Went looking for new ones. Bus Depot 610-754-8989 can get them at the best price. ($40 to $50) I also found them at a placce in town, Metric Auto, for $67, but was not in a hurry. Both places were ATE brand, made in W. Germany.

MORAL, check how rusted the web is on the rotor. That's the part that connects the rotor to the hub center. If it's real thin, and the rotors themself are 1/2 normal, buy new ones. I'm not sure what would have happened to the front if the web had shattered while driving, but I'm sure it would not have been cheep.

>>>2. What about front wheel bearings? It's common to repack these when doing brake work on 2WD vehicles but the syncro is a different design. Looking at the Bentley, it seems like an awful lot of work to mess with the bearings.

o Unless you are replacing the front wheel bearings, don't mess with them. They are permanently sealed, and not repackable. Different design altogether. Getting them out destroys them.

ON THE OTHER HAND. Spin your tire fast while the front is up. Listen for bearing running ruff noise. If it sounds bad, replace before you end up replacing lots more because the bearings went belly up. I got seals for $3 from Metric Auto here in Mpls, and Bearings for a real good price from Bus Boys in CA. Dealer charged me $60 to press old out and new in. (take upright off yourself, and bring in loose) I would have done myself, but was disgusted at CHISELING off 4 bolts on the throttle valve of SO's '86 Scirocco the night before, and figured the money was well spent. You do need a press, a good press, to do this, and either an assortment of sockets for pressing on or the right tools.

o Sorry, no opinion, except I do it when they make noise when turning. After many busses, and watercooled VW's no pattern seems to have emerged. Syncro Beast has 150 k on her, and I repacked and swapped left for right in 1995.

o ????Maybe blead brakes, or if fluid never replaced before, purge system and put in new brake fluid.

o It's a plan.

Ch '89 Syncro Beast '87 GTI 16V '86 Scirocco (SO's)