Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 16 Jul 1997 17:00:34 EDT
From:         georgejoann@juno.com (George Jannini)
Subject:      Re: On The Road Again

Joel:

Jo & I have returned to sultry Atlanta. Driving through Kansas wasn't quite as bad as I'd been led to believe, but the past two days between St Louis and here were a tad nerve-wracking...I'm really beginning to dislike urban driving environments in my dotage, but then I was also pretty road weary by the time I hit St. Louis, Nashville and Chattanooga.

Colorado was gorgeous and the van handled the high altitudes quite well, although it, like the two of us was a bit down on power. <G> We managed to cross the Continental Divide four times this trip, and enjoyed three shortline rail trips and two whitewater rafting rides On the second whitewater trip, I managed a nice fishes' eye view of the bottom before being hauled bodily back into the raft by the guy seated behind me.

Following is a quote from the owner's manual: "When the engine is working hard and in stop-and-go traffic or in hot weather, the needle can show a very high temperature, but this is not serious as long as the warning light does not flash."

When that 2nd stage fan started up at highway speed, it scared the heck out of me. The temp gage was reading more than 3/4 scale, but I managed to bring it down without having to resort to engaging the heaters, thank you very much. It was bloody hot that day, I tell you... high 90's, anyway. Running without AC ain't my idea of a wonderful time, but it helped until things got under control again. Wonder what he'd do in Phoenix this time of year? You can bet that I'll never attempt to find that out for myself, it's hot enough right here in Atlanta.

George '89 Westy, "Wernher" 108K miles & counting