Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 17 Jul 1997 06:55:10 -0400
From:         kelphoto@bright.net (mark keller)
Subject:      Cooling System Opinion

I have read and read about the coolant corrosion problem and wanted to add my thoughts since I not had heard this type of comment.

My feelings on the coolant issue are because of the propriatary nature of the manufacturers formula, I bought the Autobahn stuff. I feel if I'm gonna pay an extra $15, it is cheap insurance against a hedge in replacing heads et al. Also I'm going with the distilled water too.

It seems that the corrosive nature of this system could use every possible precaution. On this feeling, I have a hunch,and it is without proof, that the factory coolant may have a "sacrifical anode" ingredient. On salt water marine engines which suffer the corrosive engine problem, a sacrifical anode, usually a piece of zinc about 3lbs in weight is attatched to the engine. I guess the metalugical deal is that since zinc's atomic number is closer to lead, the base, the "corrosive" action prefers the zinc to the alloys in the 2 stroke engine.

It would be a smart thing IMO to add this type of scarificial anode to the VW coolant. I repeat that I do not know for sure they have it, everybody's so cloak and dagger about what is in their stuff. But I'm going to go that way. The "clue" for me was that the factory stuff has a "short" life, replace every two years. When manufactures are making long life coolant why place the short limit? My guess is that since all sacrifical anodes by design are depleted, that the 2 year life is to replinish the anode. I'll post this mental meandering for others to comment and refine. I mentioned this topic once and got no response.

I've heard on the list of several motors that used either distilled water or the original stuff go well past the service life of non such systems. I realize that since water around the world varies greatly that it alone could be variable in whether say an owner used Autobahn, and local water, but still had a head leak. Back to my original feeling. This system needs every possible precaution done to help it.

Mark Keller 91 Carat WLE