Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 17 Jul 1997 08:23 -0600 (MDT)
From:         BLAINE_BACHMAN%PL-01M3@ccmail.plk.af.mil
Subject:      Re: Knock, knock! Synopsis - but kinda long

First an enthusiastic thanks to all who responded with ideas. The noise was definitely in the engine and most noticeable on the left side.

Happily, the operational word here is "was"; a can of Alemite CD-2 did the trick. Funny, I would have thought that the last treatment (done 3000 miles ago - 2000 miles prior to the last oil change) would have taken care of the problem. I mean, if the grief is a sticky lifter and one runs what is essentially a detergent additive through it for 2000 miles, and the problem "goes away", then why does it come back 1000 miles after the additive is dumped with the oil change? Did someone put extra "gum" in my Castrol 20W-50? Will I have to add Alemite with every oil change from here on out? Will Dudley Doright save the day?

Meanwhile, I did a lot of research into getting or building a new engine. Rather than let it all go to waste, here's a summary along with some generalizations of the comments received regarding specific engine sources.

AVP Sacramento CA http://www.sacbiz.com/avp/ 1-800-548-5766 1.9L 1750.99 2.1L 1750.99 Core 600.99

Fast German Auto Santa Ana, CA http://www.fastgermanauto.com 1-888-211-3334 1.9L 1599.00 2.1L 1599.00 Core >1000.00 (I forgot the exact figure - not on the web page)

GEX Baldwin Park, CA http://www.gexintl.com/ 1-800-543-6805 1.9L 1799.00 2.1L 1999.00 Core 600.00

Observations:

I did talk to all three companies on the phone - FGA was the most talkative - the other two exuded more of a "trust us" feeling without volunteering too many details.

Of the three, Fast German Auto is also the most "interesting". Besides being (on the surface, at least) the lowest cost source, they claim to use NEW heads (are new heads really that easy to get a hold of?) and NEW lifters along with the other expected new parts. They also apparently ship the engines with flywheels installed rather than you having to set up the end play. Finally, they claim to know a handful of assembly "tricks" which contribute to the longevity of their engines.

All three apparently have the shipping (air) thing down. Seems like you can expect an engine in 2-3 days (after it's built). Essentially, if I would have ordered yesterday (Wednesday the 16th), I would have an engine on Friday the 25th. BTW, you pay the shipping (both ways); estimated cost is in the $200-300 range round trip.

I had no idea going into this if align-boring was an issue with the Wasserboxer. FGA said their cases were stock and intimated that the WB is strong (like the Type IV) and doesn't usually suffar this problem. They also said that their cranks are turned no more than .010/.010.

BTW, all options included the oil pump (new from FGA - the others, I don't know), but not the water pump (probably should buy a new one).

Customer Comments (from among your fellow listies):

AVP - Largely an unknown quantity. One respondent (a somewhat satisfied FGA customer) indicated he would try them "next time" since they were near by.

FGA - The "somewhat satisfied FGA customer" had installed a Type IV engine from these guys, and indicated that he was pleased with the engine. On the other hand, he intimated at feeling a bit "taken" over shipping and bad core issues which had doubled the ultimate cash outlay over the advertised engine price.

GEX - Was it "pick on the (apparent) big guy", or is this really the least desireable option? One customer complained about a cracked and leaking head early on in a GEX engine experience. GEX earned points from him for shipping a replacement head and paying $300 of the $350 local shop labor charge, but lost points with the customer for taking many days to do it (and for the problem in the first place). Other unquantified comments seemed to indicate near-universal condemnation of GEX as a long-term solution for any VW engine. Will anyone "champion" GEX?

Peripheral Comments:

One respondent expressed satisfaction with VW itself! He did pay over $2K for the engine and the core deposit was steep ($1300), but he appreciated the 90-day time frame he was given to complete the job and turn the core in (guess he wasn't dealing with a daily driver).

Another listee indicated that when (or before) that fatefull day comes, he will be doing the Kennedy/Subaru 135hp thing.

Finally, a few folks were very encouraging about the idea of doing it oneself. Discounting FGA's alleged "tricks", I agree with the idea of "if you do it yourself, you know what's in it" as both a source of great satisfaction (and trepidation at first start-up), and unparalleled peace of mind.

Local prices on machine work for the crank and rods are about the same as for other engines. P & L sets, bearings, cam, and lifter prices are similar to that for Type IVs. The gasket set will "set" you back. The big unknown will always be the heads - my approach is always to plan on and expect the worst - then you can only be pleased with whatever happens (and take the SO out to dinner on the money you "saved" because the heads were rebuildable)!

-Blaine