Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 17 Jul 1997 08:45:02 -0700
From:         s_j_wacker@juno.com (STEVEN G WACKER)
Subject:      Engine life

To all: I have been on the list for two or three months now and the subject of leaking heads comes up every day. Always looking for rebuilt engines or replacements such as Subaru or other engines to put in. What is the life expectancy of an engine? I have always felt that if I got 100k from a vehicle that it didn't "owe" me anything. Now I have heard that in the last few years the quality of vehicles has improved greatly and we can expect more, but my Syncro is 11 years old, original engine, 184k. I owned an '84 GL, purchased new. I begin experiencing head problems at around 80k, but I had not followed the manufactures recommendation that phosphate free coolant be used. When I traded that car in for my '90 Carat, it had 127k and I had only pulled the heads once and tried to fix the problem with a liquid gasket material. I have used only phosphate free coolant in my Carat and after 138k miles I have no engine problems. I see many listees post their milage and most are well over 100k, so my question, again, is how many miles should we expect? And how much maintenance/repair is normal. I know there are lots of exceptions to rules and I don't want to include diesels.

" I still have the cheby pickup my daddy bought new, got over 200 hundred thousand miles on 'er, I only had to replace the engine 3 times and the body twice...Bubba"

Steve and Jo Ann Wacker San Marcos, Ca 90 Carat 86 Syncro