Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 17 Jul 1997 19:20:45 +0200
From:         Meier Michael <Michael.Meier@bwg1.erl1.siemens.de>
Subject:      zu: Engine life

Steve and Jo Ann Wacker wrote:

>I have always felt that if I got 100k from a vehicle that >it didn't "owe" me anything. Now I have heard >that in the last few years the quality of vehicles has >improved greatly and we can expect more, but my Syncro is >11 years old, original engine, 184k.

hey steve and jo ann, thats exactly what I think. my 58 westy ist still running and a brave old car, but- 5th engine (four of them were used ones) and 3rd gearbox (and only 122 k KM). and everybody tells me what a great car it is. har har har. i know a man in berlin, who has got his 66 westy since 30 years and 300kKM (200kmls) but with engine no. 3 (all brand new). and nearly every 1.9 or 2.1 l that i have heard about did 150kKMs without big problems-when the right volkswagens coolant was used and regulary changed. and the mitsuyota-bus of my collegue did the same 150kKMs - and then the head had two big cracks...

our experience with these waterboxers is: they are wonderful engines for good 100kmls (under german circumstances) and once they get any head-problems there is exactly one way to repair: original volkswagen exchange engine (factory rebuild). expensive, ok (about ca. 2200 us$) but then youve got another trouble-free 100kmls. its the same with the gear-boxes, exept autos.

i think, the problem is, that most people expect a car, that is 50times more comfortable and easier and nicer to go in than the "good old aircooled" but wont understand, that this all has to be payed for with more technic. no, a engine overhaul cant be done for a fiver in uncle bens garage on a lazy saturdays evening. but go back again in a split-bus for a 300mls day-trip and you know what for.

please excuse my terrible english. best wishes from wolfsburg michael meier 58 westy 77 westy looking for a good 90 dehler-profi

p.s. this is my private opinion and has nothing to do with siemens company