Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 3 Jul 97 18:44:51 UT
From:         "Tom Brunson" <TABRUN@msn.com>
Subject:      RE: Dying in the rain 2

The Bosch Digifant sensor on the '86 up actually does have two wire connectors - one is for the sensor itself, and the other is for a heating element in the sensor to get it hot enough to work under conditions that leave it cold. The sensor connector is the simple spade-lug, the heater connector is a 2-wire F.I. type connector at the same point in the harness, with white and brown wires.

I've never had to replace a Bosch O2 sensor with lower than 80,000 miles use, usually get much more. Perhaps the generic brands aren't as inexpensive as they appear, if you look at cost per mile and agravation of problems.

It seems the sensors are very high impedance, and usually seem to fail "too rich" due to current leakage, so wet wires could probably conduct enough to cause problems. I use a Prestone Silicone spray on the engine wiring periodically. (However once when travelling in the wet tried another brand - BIG mistake - had to clean it off to get the car to run much at all. All silicone sprays are not the same. Make sure it lists wiring as a use, not just lubricating.)

The first time I had an O2 sensor fail was in midst of a long trip. The car started running very rich with sooty exhaust, etc. Since everything else looked to be working OK I unplugged the O2 sensor and the car ran fine 'till I could replace it.

Tom Brunson