Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 19 Jul 1997 10:23:27 +0100
From:         Malcolm Bebb <bebb@EMBETECH.DEMON.CO.UK>
Subject:      Re: Looking for info from up north of TN

> >I recently test drove a nice looking Syncro from PA. >The body was beautiful. But when I raised the deck lid the motor >compartment was covered with rust and corrosion. Is this common in >cars from the north.

Hi, Here in the UK rust is the big car killer. I'm doing some rust reparation on my 81 camper right now (well, I would be if I wasn't reading the vanagon list!).

Here, in general, if the bodywork is good that's a very good sign - but CHECK IT CAREFULLY, a magnet is often suggested to sort the steel from the filler, look carefully for signs of a respray etc. If I wanted to sell a rustbucket I would concentrate on getting a good first impression and getting the bodywork to look nice. It's possible to quickly get a lovely looking job with some filler and a couple of spray cans - it only has to last a couple of months and that's about all this kind of tart-up does last. But if the bodywork is genuine that's a good sign for the rest of it.

I don't know how bad or wide ranging your rust is, of course. If the vehicle is 10+ years old you must expect some rust (here). However, if you think it's been used in a salty zone, think twice about getting it. Also if it's much younger and rusty, worry.

I guess you're from a relatively rust-free area, so any rust is unlikely to get much worse and you can clean it up in time, if you like the van and are prepared to do the work. By the same token, body shops in your area are unlikely to be used to doing rust repair welding (if necessary) and anti-rust preparations may be hard to find.

Look at the rust you can see - rub it with your finger. Is it superficial or deep? (This is only a very rough guide) Rust is repairable - there's lots of 60's and 70's vans running around here, on the south coast. But it costs... You need to get someone to look at the underbody structural metalwork (big safety failure point here), front footwells, wheel arches.

Don't worry too much about nuts and bolts. Some will be too rusty to shift, but it's unusual that you can't find some way and the hardware itself is replaceable. This isn't your main worry - structural corrosion is.

Hope this helps, -- Malcolm

Malcolm Bebb bebb@embetech.demon.co.uk Tel/Fax (44) 01202 772162 Test Solutions ATE User Documentation Mobile 0468 377456