Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 19 Jul 1997 06:34:20 -0400
From:         mark keller <kelphoto@BRIGHT.NET>
Subject:      Re: A/C parts and service Advice

Dear Sir

I just disconnected my a/c condensor lines, so I'll share my experiences.

1. When breaking the nuts loose always use a second wrench to take the strain from the sytem. That is don't just use one wrench to loosen a connection. Get another wrench and "hold" the connection, while you apply torque to loosen the nut.

2. Flushing the system is done by the A/C shop, normally nitrogen or whatever is used to Flush the system. Not all shops who recharge can "flush" the system so a little phone research will ensure this. BTW ask the cost over the phone, sometimes they'll give a better price to someone who is "shopping around"

3. First you dont need to drop the rad or the evap. Drop the spare and the lines will be on the driver's side, and bottom of the cond core.

Please note it is a good Idea to plug the system connections on both ends when you separate them-- in practice it's not always needed, when the vehicle is being repair same day and not being driven ie a shop situation.

Double check that the "radiator shop" is doing the repair, and not just sending the hose across town to be done by someone else. Do a little research, you may be able to find these guys under "hydraulic Hose" in the Yellow pages. The hose repair shop, should have a supply of plugs. I've put a plastic baggy over the end and secured w/ a rubber band.

On the hose replacement. Three bad hoses sounds bizarre-- unless your ran over your lawnmower whilst is was a runnin! This system utilizes o-rings, to seal the upfront connections, I suspect they are in the rear too. O-rings are the first thing to replace, and are the primary leak point. Since oil is in the freon, a leak can be confirmed by an oily/grimy area on the hose at the leak area. Again typically the leaks occur around the O-ring seals. There are places that specialize in O-rings and they can match you up, if other local sources fail to. The hydralic repair people may be able to refer you if they don't have em. BTW way it'll help if you can tell them what type of material your o ring should be made of. Viton, or neoprene, etc. A phone call around can help. REMEMBER your saving $1500, that's a lot of my time. Especially when you consider that's after taxes.

My experience on hose repairs cost is, so much per foot, crimping and fixing was included in the hose per foot cost, they'll use your "fittings" This is a good way to repair a hose. There are several hoses that will suffice to repair your system, I'd try for the nitrile stuff, since Messr. McGee's research I believe said that for later conversion to 134, it was a perferred choice. Personally I wouldn't get to exercised about replacing every hose. Just do good solid repairs on what's broke. Make sure it's broke though.

Dealers are notourious liers. Some children do also. It's not the end of the world, but when a dealer fibbs, it can really rock your emotions, cause they are like mummy and daddy in our feeble minds. I mean are intution is to say "well they are supposed to be the experts:" I've got to say that when a dealer says something is broken, the only response I make is. OK note it on my repair bill and I'll look in to it.

I was having my 240Z serviced for a new xsmn mount. I got a call at work, by a "worried" service writer, who was just informed by the mechanic that the "altenator belt was cut nearly slap in two, and the brake pads were shot." The semi metallic pads were less than half, which means I got 30K miles MORE out of em, . The belt lasted, and wasn't cut or anything, 5 or 6 years. I maintain the thing so I knew this. Moral Dealers as a rule of thumb need to be treated more like kids-- the neighbors kids-- than parental authority we it comes to receiving information about your car.

Sincerely

Mark Keller 91 Carat WLE