Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 9 Jul 1997 22:06:12 -0500
From:         ronclay@ldd.net (Ron Clayton)
Subject:      various Vanagon talesŠ

Hello All:

I've been following several threads on the list having to do with FI control units, Vanagon safty, crash worthiness, etc. and, electric door locks, locks, locks=8A I had a hair raising but reasuring experinece of the second kind today which promts me to throw in my two cents worth on all three topics.

=46irst: the control unit: Recently I offerd to send a listee one I have that was removed from my '84 some years ago. As I said, it may or may not be good but given the price of a new one ane that I'll just give this one to anyone interested, it's worth a try, =8Aseems a shame to just pitch it when it could be good.

Second: the crash, I got caught in one of those bumper car events on the freeway in St. Louis today in my '91 GL. You know the kind, 5:pm 65mph, nose in someone's tail pipe and then some idiot up the line puts on their brakes? =46irst time I ever really had to stand on mine (new pads up front).Later model Vanagons just hunker down and stop. Right - now. No sliding, no swaying, no needum abs. Unfortunatly, the Woman behind me hadn't the same control of her Chevy. I expected to be looking for a new tailgate et. al. instead I'll be needing the fiberglass bumper and that's all. No body pannal damage at all, and fortunatly the responsible party is insured and cooperative.

=46inally, the door locks. that's why I was in St. Louis, to get mine fixed= .. another listee complained of electric door locks that cycled endlessly when first unlocked. Mine had been doing the same thing for a week. It turned out to be a break in the white wire that lets the system know a lock has been unlocked. Since all locks work together it could be a bit tricky to track down but I should think that a methodical continuity check would eventually turn up the break.